Monday, October 17, 2016

"Open Your Mouth-ing"

I think that “Open Your Mouth-ing” (OYMing) and tracking was exactly I needed to get past this week. I've never been comfortable with it but this week it's the majority of what we've been doing. So this week we had tons of lessons set up, 11 of them. All of them except 2 fell through. We were just super discouraged by the end of the week. And to top it off Saturday night we passed by some building clear full of Latinos having a party or something, it was just salt in the wound. I wanted to leave a note or card or something in there, but my companion said that would over-stepping our boundaries to enter a party uninvited. 

Sunday an RM was telling me that what happened this week was because God was testing my trust with sharing the gospel with everyone, and when he trusts me with that, then he'll give me someone to teach. Then I realized then how many people I had tried to OYM and all the doors I knocked on. I think if I didn't gain his trust from that I don't know what will, but I have a good feeling that this coming week is going to go great. 

I've noticed that I've been pretty pessimistic about people yelling stuff at me as they pass by or curse at me, it's actually really funny. Cause for everyone person that does something like that, about 20 more honk at us or offer us food or yell out "We love you!" or smile and wave at us. Then we have a meal literally every night with a member, and that's in a Spanish ward too. So I don't really worry to much about them anymore. 

Actually just a few nights ago we were biking around and this skinny guy in a tank top and tats passed us yelling "I'm more Mormon than you!" Or maybe it was I'm more man than you, I don't know it was kinda hard to hear, but I thought about what he was saying for a few seconds when about 15 seconds later some mom honked at us to tell us she loves us. I couldn't stop laughing because it was just so weird how much people don't like the church in a state like Utah and how ineffective they are at trying to bring down the Church in Utah. Heck I just got back from the store and I found 20 bucks in my bag. At first it was kinda difficult to talk to people who I know aren't interested but now I'm trying to just bare my testimony after every OYM, you never know what will come of it.

We had dinner with Veronica, this kinda crazier Chilean lady we visit sometimes. She speaks Spanish super fast, but she asked me what I was doing after my mission. And I told her I would like to own my own business. She was pretty interested since she used to own a business in the past, so we talked about that for a bit. A few days later she drove to our house to drop off some Chilean sweets for my companion's birthday. And she told me she had a dream that I was supposed to go to college, and that she was supposed to tell me about her dream how I needed to go to college and everything. So that was pretty crazy. I'm trying not to think about that stuff to much but after she told me that it was kinda hard not to.

Lately I've been ready Teachings of Presidents: Gordon B Hinckley and the next morning I got to a chapter called "Continue in the Great Process of Learning". Really a super neat read.

Today we are having our district activity, I'm not sure how it's going to be though cause we are painting pumpkins and playing board games.



No comments:

Post a Comment