Saturday, January 7, 2017

A trip to Temple Square and a visit from an Apostle

It's kinda hard to believe it's been another week now. I think there's a lot of things I've learned this week but not necessarily in the easiest way. We had quite a few stumbling blocks this week but probably two of the biggest things I have learned is 1. Trust in the Lord's Plan more than our own and 2. You can either look at a stumbling block as an annoyance or as a tool to stand a little taller.

Friday in particular was just a sucker punch, our family of 5 who were going to be married that day and baptized the 24th had a huge fight and said they no longer wanted to be together. But the good news is that they still have the desire to be baptized. So if we have a lesson with them this week we can help to sort out this problem and get them ready to be baptized the 31st.

I'll admit that at first I felt super discouraged but I realize there's a reason for everything and if we stay diligent everything will turn out more than ok. The Lord has a plan for every one of his children and even though it stings at time we have to endure to receive blessings. We didn't choose to come to Earth to frolic through the flowers everyday but to have experiences that build character and prepare us to meet God. I especially remembered something President Lansing told us at one of the first conferences where we don't want to stand before our Heavenly Father and have him say "I sent you this trial to help you become something better, and you let it get the best of you."

So anyways we really loved Luz de Las Naciones Saturday night, I got to see Elder Butts and Elder Valentine from my MTC district which was really fun. We also had a few investigators come and I think it was a really neat experience for us and them. The whole event reminded me of the quote from that Muppet play at Disney when Sam the Eagle says something like "And now a celebration of all the countries of the world, but mostly America" Luz was a celebration of all the Hispanic counties but mostly Mexico. 

Elder Fletes and Elder Bottari were sitting next to each other, it was actually pretty fun to see them react to their countries since Mexico and Argentina aren't super good friends. Argentina had this fun tap dance thing that was all soothing and calm and fun to watch, then right after Mexico came out with panchos and violins stomping, whistling, and shouting. Elder Fletes kept yelling out Mexican stuff and clapping. It was super fun.

I had an amazing experience at the temple last week, I loved the designs and paintings. But it was my first visit to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and I was super happy we got to go. One thing I loved was how busy it was, because so many people were coming and leaving I noticed just how many different people are able to have the same awesome experience. I saw a police man, a crazy biker with leather vest and all, someone who looked like a lumberjack, business men, and a few missionaries. Once everyone changes into white though we all have something in common and we all have the same experience.

Last night we were able to listen to the Apostle Elder Rasband. And holy snikes that was so cool, everyone got to shake his hand and he just talked to us about Christmas and Jesus Christ all evening, I was so spiritually exhausted by the end. 

The most memorable quote from that talk was when he said "Don't ever whine again on your mission, never again will Heavenly Father have such an interest in your life that he will tell you exactly what area in world you need to go, and then exactly which area in your mission to go with the exact person you need to go with." Basically what I got from that is just how divine our calling is and how important it is to listen to the spirit. And really when we are complaining while serving it's pretty much mocking God and his divine wisdom. 

After the talk our entire mission had a social with cookies and cake and everything, and Sister Lansing gave us all these super sick (meaning awesome) journals.








No comments:

Post a Comment