Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Cake and Oreos


Yesterday was our miracle day for sure, I was starting to feel a little discouraged since quite a few of our investigators had dropped us and we were having a real hard time finding in our small area. But yesterday we went to visit one of our investigators who we found out lives with a ton of other people. So at first when we pulled up to his house we saw another new guy just outside for whatever reason. It ended up being his first day ever in America and he invited us and we got to share the restoration, we put him on date and everything and he has some potential. Then right after we left we noticed the garage was more open and heard someone inside so my companion crawled under the garage and started talking to our investigator who was inside and working on his cars that he sells for a living. At first I thought what the heck we are going to get shot for this, but then he also invited us in the same house and we got to have another lesson there, which was a little weird but awesome.

We ate dinner the past two evenings with Venezuelan families which is the best, lots of BBQ . One was from Caracas and the other from Maracaibo.  The brother from Maracaibo helped us out with a ride and lessons all last night. Man he was hilarious and so experienced in the missionary work. The lesson we had that night wasn't super sure since it always just seems to be their kids that answer the door and say that their parents aren't home. This night the same thing happened their kids answered and said their parents weren't home and to come back later, but he told them he knew they were lying and if they didn't bring their parents then would call the police or something. He was like halfway in the house just joking around with the kids and in a few minutes their mom came to the door. She wasn't super open to let us in at first but then she commented on how cold it was and the Brother from Maracaibo said "Ya we're freezing let us in so we can warm up a little bit and talk!" So she let us in and we had an amazing lesson about eternal families and bits of the plan of salvation, at first we just started going through the lesson but the Brother from Maracaibo would teach just so sincerely and with the spirit that we really learned that night how to teach people and discern what they really need. She felt the spirit and seemed like she really wanted what we were teaching. We are coming back tonight and hopefully Sunday.


This week I have been focusing a lot on asking better questions and in PMG I found a great activity that I added to a few minutes of my personal study. I am reading/skimming Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and 3 Nephi and writing down every question Christ asked to his disciples and comparing and contrasting with my own, so far it has helped me a lot. I guess I never really noticed how useful those personal and companionship study activities are in PMG and how much you can learn from them. Recently I've felt like the work has really slowed down a bit with losing quite a few investigators, however we have equally been blessed with many new investigators who we haven't met before. I'll admit that at times I feel like I want something so bad that I question the events that have happened but I wouldn't say I'm discouraged, I feel the Spirit working through us and testify of the guidance we receive and the joy felt as we act upon that guidance. Like I've said before I wish at times we saw a little more progress and success but I know the Lord knows what's best and has a plan for exactly what we need to do each day. It's so fun to be able to meet so many interesting people and share the same joy of the gospel I have experiences.

Today for zone activity we played this obstacle course game where we had to first have someone get an Oreo from their face in their mouth. Then guide someone blindfolded through an obstacle course and then knock down some plastic cups with paper balls and then roll dice until you land on boardwalk on monopoly. Then after we played a giant game of companionship four square with a giant yoga ball. It was pretty fun and creative, our Zone Leaders Elders Kelly and Craig are pretty great.


No comments:

Post a Comment