Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Aprender español despacio pero seguramente

Tuesday was really fun because I got to do exchanges with Elder Bottari. It was just like old times only my Spanish wasn't as useless!  I still learn so much from him and I hope I get to be his companion again in the future.

We had a great Stake Conference yesterday, President Bowler is just amazing! He was mission President in Central America for a while so he helps out so much. He's also like best friends with one of our investigators who has been investigating for a long time but doesn't want to be baptized because he hasn't read the Book of Mormon yet, only he doesn't read it very much so it's pretty slow.  He also has many LDS friends but some of them are a bad example and stressed how he doesn't want to end up like that.

Our stake conference seemed to be focused on scripture study and one brother left a really strong testimony that I hope really impacted him. He said President Bowler gave every member of the High Council a card with President Monson reading his scriptures and told everyone to write on the back that they commit to reading the scriptures every day without missing a day. This brother said that in the moment he didn't feel like he could make that commitment because he knew he would mess up. He said there was one night though that really changed his mind as he realized that he needed to sign the card and make that promise with God to read his scriptures, he said he has missed a few days but because of repentance he can keep trying without being discouraged. If he could apply that to his decision to be baptized then I think he will really understand the importance of performing that ordinance.

Also a family we had lost contact with finally responded to us yesterday! It’s nothing super solid but I hope we can have an amazing lesson with them this week. 

I guess being in such a small area it's really easy to fall into the pit of thinking you already know everyone or that there's very few people with potential. This is never the case however, there always seems to be people moving in and out, as the Lord truly is constantly preparing someone to receive us. Everyone still has the agency to choose but the Lord's mercy is in preparing his children to have the perfect circumstance for them go accept the Gospel. Just as long as we are prepared and worthy we can find them and then very clearly present that choice right in front of them then do all in our power to have them make the correct choice. 


I'll admit the language has been a really fun challenge at times.  One day I'll feel really great and then next I trip over my words more often. But really I do love so much learning this language, it has been a beautiful progression and I hope I can really master it. One thing that has been a little more difficult has been the cultures, sometimes it's hard for me to understand and love it the way I should and I get to caught up in how much it doesn't make sense to me rather than me adapting to it. But I'm starting to get the hang of it and in time I hope it'll make more sense to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment